b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Question on Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jerry Shepherd" <jerry.shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca>
  • To: "David P Donnelly" <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Question on Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:53:22 -0600

David,

Thank you very much for this reference.

Berachot,

Jerry

Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd
Associate Professor of Old Testament
Taylor Seminary
11525 - 23 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6J 4T3
CANADA
Office: (780)431-5250
Home: (780)434-1164
Fax: (780)436-9416
Email: jerry.shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca
Internet: http://www.taylor-edu.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: b-hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:b-hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of David P Donnelly
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:21 PM
To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [b-hebrew] Question on Tetragrammaton

On Tue Apr 17 19:09:44 EDT 2007
Jerry Shepherd jerry.shepherd at taylor-edu.ca wrote:

The question I have, and I could look it up but I'm trying to find the
answer more quickly than that, is this. There are 40 some places in the
Leningrad Codex where the tetragrammaton has the full vowel pointing for
Adonai, i.e., there is a holem (e.g. Exod 13:9), in addition to the usual
two vowels, shewa and qames. Does anybody know off the top of their head
the reason why the extra vowel comes into play in the 40 some places (out
of the nearly 6000 occurrences)? Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd
Associate Professor of Old Testament
Taylor Seminary
11525 - 23 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6J 4T3
CANADA
Office: (780)431-5250
Home: (780)434-1164
Fax: (780)436-9416
Email: jerry.shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca
Internet: http://www.taylor-edu.ca

http://www.karaite-korner.org/yhwh_2.pdf

At the link above you will find a 12 page article titled:
The Pronunciation of the Name
By Nehemia Gordon
Nehemia Gordon is a member of Karaite Judaism who believes that Yehovah
is God’s true name. Nehemia Gordon believes that it was the original
intent of the Masoretes to suppress the true pronunciation of YHWH, which
he believes is Y:HOWFH [a.k.a. “Yehovah” ], by purposely omitting the
holem.
Nehemia Gordon believes that in those 40-50 places where Y:HOWFH [a.k.a.
“Yehovah” ] occurs in the Leningrad Codex, the Masoretes had made a
mistake and forgotten to omit the holem.
Nehemiah Gordon goes into more detail on this issue on pages 10-12 of his
article.
Dave Donnelly