b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:43:50 -0400

Ok, thank you - but does this mean that if someone is referring to the horns of several animals, 10, let's say = 20 horns, they would use the word kranot, or would it still be karnayim? Sorry, I just want to understand.

Shoshanna

Shoshana,

You are right but not entirely. The dual of KEREN, horn, is KARNAIM, as nature willed it for the head of most animals. Yet, indeed, the plural of KEREN in the sense of 'ray of light' is KARNAIM, the same way that the 4 legs of a table are 4 RAGLAIM. You my have seen a statue of an Indian goddess with 6 YADAIM, and some modern art depicting a face with 3 EYNAIM. The plural of KEREN in the sense of 'principal' is KRANOT, (KARNOT in construct state), and so is the plural of KEREN in the sense of 'corner'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University