b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hithpael functions (was Question for Rolf on the JW outlook on the Hebrew)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hithpael functions (was Question for Rolf on the JW outlook on the Hebrew)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:29:57 -0700

Dear David:

On 3/24/07, K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:
Dear David:

Abraham's "I made me walk..." clearly refers to more than just the
physical action of walking, when the context is taken into account,
and this is not the only example of this use of this verb. There are
other examples where the hitpael of "to walk" does not mean to go to
and fro, or to wander about, even in the physical, not idiomatic
sense, rather to make one's way, to make oneself go.

In looking back at my previous responses, I realized that I was not
clear on one point: when I said that Abraham's use of the hitpael of
"to go" was idiomatic, I do not consider his use of the hitpael in
this context as idiomatic, rather his use of the verb "to go" to refer
to living his life is idiomatic.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.