b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 21:26:05 -0500

Peter,

The We of WEQATAL and WEYIQTOL is certainly a 'waw consecutive', which is never followed by a dagesh, probably because it is so common.

On the other hand, there is a dagesh following the definite article HA-, and the prepositions MI- and $E-. There are several attempts at explaining this dagesh, but as far as I can recall none of these explanations claims that this dagesh has any intended phonetic function, even though it incidentally modifies the pronunciation of BGDKPT.

Isaac Fried, Boston University