b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:17:29 -0800

Hello,

I have a question or two about Isaiah 7:14. Let me say at the outset that I
do not care whether the feminine singular noun ‘LMH means virgin or young
woman. After the atnach at ‘WT up to the zeqef qatan at BN there are five
words - HNH H‘LMH HRM VYLDT BN. There is a demonstrative particle (DP), a
feminine singular noun (FSN1), a second feminine singular noun (FSN 2), a qal
feminine singular active participle (FSAP), and a singular masculine noun
(MSN).

My first question relates to FSN1 and FSN2, are these nouns together a
singular construct? Both retain the qamets and the terminal H and neither
shortened the qamets to a patah or added a terminal T.

My second question pertains to FSAP. Is this treated as a noun or a verb,
i.e. can it be read as a noun “one who gives birth” or can it only be read as
“she will be giving birth”. In the former case the structure changes to DP,
FSN1, FSN2, FSN3, MSN. This of course leaves the phrase without a verb.

My last question is about the definite article attached to FSN1. Is there
some significance to this noun being only the noun to have a definite article?

Thank you.

--
Jack Tladatsi