b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 10:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: JBarach AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 10:10
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:30:34 -0500

John,

Right after saying "He lieth in wait secretly as a lion in his den (cover?)" the poet goes on to say "he draweth him into his net", implying that the momentary lion analogy is over. Henceforth no more lion but only man. Hence, I would tentatively translate psalm 10:10 as: "And he will oppress the meek, and the poor shall fall into his forts (strongholds, cages, traps?)". No teeth, no claws.

It appears to me that you grammatically micro-manage the text to death. Flow with the logic of the poetry and you will get the text right.

Isaac Fried, Boston University