b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "sh" in Biblical names in English

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: David and Toby Curwin <tobyndave AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "sh" in Biblical names in English
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:34:41 +0400

On 02/02/2007 13:46, David and Toby Curwin wrote:

I've noticed this. The mystery to me is those biblical proper names that do
have "sh" in English: e.g., Asher, Ishmael, Jehoshaphat, Joshua, Shiphrah
(which are all I can think of off hand)."

I'm not sure what the mystery is. Names in English translations of the Hebrew Bible are mostly based on the Hebrew forms of the names. Only a few of the very familiar names, like the three you list, are based on Latin forms which are mostly copied from the Greek. This has been true at least since the King James version.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org