b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YBM & HALOT: consummate a marriage with a brother-in-law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <klowery AT whi.wts.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YBM & HALOT: consummate a marriage with a brother-in-law
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:28:52 -0500

A. Philip Brown II wrote, On 01/30/07 14:37:

> I am struggling with HALOT's gloss/definition for the Piel of YBM in Gen.
> 38:8; Deut. 25:5, 7. It reads, "to consummate a marriage with a
> brother-in-law (by the widow of his brother)."
>
> I do not have a copy of HALAT or access to it, but I would like to think
> this is a translation error. The Piel of this verb occurs only in the 3ms.
> It is used with two 3fs pronominal suffixes and one 1cs pronominal suffix
> whose referent is feminine.
>
> Is the English 'with' a mistranslation from the German? I would expect
> something like 'for' or 'of', not 'with.'
>
> Could someone who has HALAT verify if this is a mistranslation of the entry?

HALAT (vol. II), p. 367:

"c. acc. m. d. Witwe d. Bruders d. Schwagerehe vollziehen"

"d. Schwagerehe vollziehen" is boldface emphasis, suggesting it is the
primary meaning. I will leave the definitive translation to our native
German-speaking members, but I interpret the gloss as:

"to consummate a brother-in-law marriage, (used) with the accusative
'the widow of the brother'." I understand "d. Schwagerehe" to be the
accusative of "vollziehen."

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD, Director
The J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research