b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Son of man vs. Enosh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Son of man vs. Enosh
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:17:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi Yigal,

I'm very aware of the limitations of the Stone edition, but as far as
"standard"
translations go, I offered it to offset a notion that Christian translations
(NIV,
KJV, RSV, etc.) are the standard. The sense of the passage, as discussed in
Midrash Rabbah Genesis, and also by Rashi and the Rambam, show that
the verb after the particle is ambiguous in this case. The interpretation of
the
passage in the Midrash, which looks at the Hebrew "huxal" at every angle,
certainly cannot be ruled out.

Tory Thorpe

Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> wrote: Tory, the Stone edition is
actually a terrible choice if you wish to
understand the Hebrew literally. It's so-called translation is actually a
compendium of various interpretations taken from different sources. In this
case, SOME of the commentators, such as the midrash Genesis Rabba, followed
by Rashi, understood the Hebrew "huxal" as being derived from "xol" -
"profane", and understood Enosh's generation as the first to call idols
divine. Other commentators, such as Ibn-Ezra and Seforno, oppose this
interpretation, and prefer "then people began to call in the name of the
Lord" - they began to pray to God.

Yigal Levin