b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Chet-yod-lamed or Chet-vav-lamed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chris and Nel" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Chet-yod-lamed or Chet-vav-lamed
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 13:35:29 -0000

Stumbling accross psalm 51:7 I am perplexed as to the relationship between this root verb and say NoLaD which means to be born. What perplexes me are two things here:

1. Is this just idiomatic? Twisting and turning in pain for example came also to mean "brought forth"?

2. I would like to understand rather simply how the yod and vav are interchangeable since most hollow verbs follow an either/or pattern.

Thankyou

Chris.