b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Connotations of BARA (was Gen 2:16-17:: idiom or clumsy lie)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Connotations of BARA (was Gen 2:16-17:: idiom or clumsy lie)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:51:46 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: Isaac Fried

Inasmuch as we are dealing with Genesis, it is worth while noticing
that , BARA, which is rendered in English: 'create', and which
is the first verb (root) of the entire bible, is a variant of
PARA, 'disperse'. There is nothing in this verb (root) to indicate
that God made "something" out of "nothing".
--------------

Hi Isaac!

Do you mean PRD, rather than PR)?

Are you implying that there is an intrinsic relation between the roots BR)
and PRD? I can perhaps see a similarity in pronunciation, which might lead
to confusion in scribal transmission, particularly in manuscripts copied via
dictation. But what evidence is there of an intrinsic semantic relation
between these two roots?

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College