b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] comparative historical linguistics was Re: Nun-Tav-Vet root

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] comparative historical linguistics was Re: Nun-Tav-Vet root
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:17:42 -0500

Sorry, I don't know which verse you are referring to, my email program is not configured to read Hebrew.

"mouth of" is just figurative, G-d doesn't have a mouth or any body parts, but our tradition is that Moshe actually heard G-d telling him the Torah, Moshe lifting the tablets skyward, as you said - is in the movies.

As for the fire in the movies, that is a misunderstanding of our tradition that the prototype was written in black fire on white fire.

Shoshanna

Shoshana,
I know that it is a frivolous question, and for a true believer may even appear to border on blaspheme. The way God communicates with man is off limits to any rational enquiry. Yet you know that as the Torah is lifted after the public reading the congregation rises and proclaims in unison:
¬Ý×ï×ñ×êׁ ×îׁ×ï×®×î ×êש׮ ש×ù ×ûש×î ×úק×Ý×ô ×ë×Ý×ô ×ôש׮×ê×ú ×¢×ú ק×ô ×ê×ì×ï×Ý×ô ×ë×ô×ì ×ûש×î¬Ý
where ×¢×ú ק×ô may mean 'according to' or 'from the mouth of.'¬Ý

This appears to negate the notion that Moshe lifted the tables skyward (as I have seen with my own eyes in the movies)¬Ýand God put on them his writ with a hand of fire.
Isaac Fried