b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] A diversion from 1 sam 1:28 and that infinitive (for Dave)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chris and Nel" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] A diversion from 1 sam 1:28 and that infinitive (for Dave)
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:54:44 -0000

DAVE SAID:

Shalom Chris, the difficulty for me with your analysis is that it is the product of human reason. It's not only that I do not consider your view to be close to the truth but also that it seeks to explain (away) Scripture and tradition. Moreover, I don't look to the conduct of people and nations to verify Scripture but rather they are verified by Scripture. The same thing for science.

CHRIS REPLIES:

Well Dave, like it or not, God created Reason and He created Humans! On the nations clause I really think you ought to read it a second time. Comparisons you know don't invalidate God's words.
DAVE SAID:

I am not Jewish either but I am a believer in Messiah Yeshua and His testimony. I suspect we differ in that you think GEEzus did away with Torah (i.e., instructions of G-d) and I read accept Yeshua at His word when He said He came to fulfill the Law and not set it aside.

CHRIS REPLIES:

Assumptions are Human reasonigs Dave (your'e guilty)!!!!!!!! I KNOW that Jesus did not do away with the Law, and besides, you had better clarify which category of Law - Civil, Religious or Sacrificial. Or do you mean by 'Law' - all three categories together?

DAVE SAID:

Respecting your point that "experience" has shown you to 'test everything,' I would reiterate that experience cannot be my primary instruction but only insofar as it conforms to the Word of G-d. Where it diverts from that, I will have to go with what is unseen and/or the Scriptures of the Almighty. To your question about Scripture, non-Jews imagine all they need to know about the Scriptures are contained in the Authorized Version of the Bible but the Hebrews really had many other texts from which they were and are informed about righteous living (just as Yeshua and His Talmidim or "Apostles" did). The Greco-Roman interpretation(s) of Hebrew/Jewish Scriptures has led people away from the Saviour of history and not closer to him.

CHRIS REPLIES:

The word of God does not contain EVERY possible scenario of Human trajedy and experience, but Wisdom does -- and that comes from EXPERIENCE my friend.

DAVE SAID ALSO :The Greco-Roman interpretation(s) of Hebrew/Jewish Scriptures has led people away from the Saviour of history and not closer to him

CHRIS WOULD LIKE TO SAY:

I thought like that once, until I learned through Bitter EXPERIENCE that this is a reactionary statement of bitterness preached in some circles with messianic verosity. But the truth is more gentle as bourne out by people like Corrie Ten Boom, Casper Ten Boom, Hans Polei and Mirjam de Hoop all from the Netherlands. (PS, they all used the equivalent of the KJV).

More specifically about your query, concerning the infinitive absolute relative to the passage you reference (Lev 20:10), I would sauy I agree that it does appear to be a certainty and thus an infinitive absolute. I have not looked at this more closely but am offering an opinion based on the KJV reading of the verse as well as what you wrote in your original post on the question.

Thanks for stimulating exchange! (Your'e Welcome Dave)

Shalom,
David