b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 1:26 HaNiTSeVeT????

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chris and Nel" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 1:26 HaNiTSeVeT????
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:06:16 +0100

I am totally stuck on understanding this form in 1 Sam 1:26 where Hannah says that she was the "one who was standing". (HaNiTSeVeT) Looking up in the lexicon I see that it is a 'Niphal' and a participle - but that actually confuses the issue because it resembles the alternative fem sing part in Qal for example MSHeLeT. BDB on the web is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!!! -- if there were more occurences of this form that might have helped, but evan shoshan shows that this is the only one. Is it a noun clause tied up in one word???? And I do not understand the doubling of the second root letter?? This word has me really tied up in knots as to how it became pointed with two seghols instead of the expected -- HaNiTSaVaH!! (I like things predictable)

Please can you help.

Thanks
Chris
Ireland.