b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 16:56:25 -0700

Moshe:

I don't blame you for giving this scribe a poor grade for his
penmanship. However, he is consistent in his inconsistency as far as
the forming of the tops of the yods and waws.

Looking at the line above, verse 16, I notice that L$WNY is dim, but
it appears that both the waw and yod have the same top shape. More
clear are the tops of the final yod on MLQWXY and waw on WL(PR have
the same top shape. Looking at verse 17 the two yods in HQYPWNY have
different tops, while the waw has an intermediate shape. Then in verse
18 YBY+W the waw has the same shape as in K)RW. Another variant in
verse 18 is the YR)Y instead of the YR)W in the Masoretic text, which
actually makes more sense grammatically.

Seeing as the waws are consistently about twice as long as the yods,
and the letter in question is about twice as long as yods, that leads
to the conclusion that it is a waw.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.