b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nineveh what it means in Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel Stucki" <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • To: "thebodyofjesusthenazoraion AT juno.com" <thebodyofjesusthenazoraion AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nineveh what it means in Hebrew?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:23:18 -0700

On 8/31/06, thebodyofjesusthenazoraion AT juno.com
<thebodyofjesusthenazoraion AT juno.com> wrote:
My question is
Nineveh is the abode of Ninus. Is Ninus the same as the Greek Ninuei =
offspring of ease?
Eva Ritsema

Ninus the legendary ruler of Assyria that founded Nineveh is a must
later Greek legend if I recall correctly. I do not believe he is
attested in any Assyrian text. As to its relation to other Greek names
I cannot say but I believe the name originates from the Greek
pronunciation of Nineveh rather than another Greek root. Is this
question related to the Hebrew Bible in some way?

Joel Stucki

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Nineveh what it means in Hebrew?, Joel Stucki, 09/01/2006