b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:27:17 -0400

Hi Folks,

Here is a cross-disciplinary question :-)

The Reformation Bibles we know have a different book order and
combination of books than the Hebrew Bible, and its tri-partite division.

Where did this Christian book-order arise ? It is said sometimes that
it arose from the Greek Tanach (socalled LXX) translations, but those
manuscripts are quite inconsistent, so I am skeptical of that claim, at
least it needs more detail about who, where, when.

Is there a study of the process that gave us the current Christian Bible
book order in Tanach ? Is this discussed in early days, like with Jerome ?
How did he order his Latin Vulgate, translated from the Hebrew-Aramaic ?
Do we know ?

Hopefully this is in the bounds of this forum, if not, give a holla and I'll
take it to some of the less helpful and creative thinkers :-)

Shalom,
Steven Avery

  • [b-hebrew] Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles, Schmuel, 08/31/2006