b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was Daniel a prophet?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was Daniel a prophet?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:07:32 -0500

Did the Sanhedrin verify him?

According to Vilna Gaon, "Daniel Ish Chamudos" was the 44th out of 48 male prophets of Israel. The dates given on the chart that I am looking at, are approximate: 3340 - 3400 (counting from the the year the world was created - now we are in the year 5766, so you can count backward)

Apparently the Talmud in Megilla 15a discusses this

The year prophecy ended was 3448 - with Malachi - Ezra.

I found a translation on line of the Talmud, but it doesn't reference the "pages" - ie; 15a

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Talmud/megillahtoc.html

However I saw this, in chapter 1:

It is written [Dan. x. 7]: "And I, Daniel, saw alone this appearance, but the men that were with me did not see the appearance; nevertheless a great terror fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves." Who were these men? Said R. Jeremiah, according to others R. Hyya b. Abba: They were Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi. They were better than he, because they were prophets, and be, Daniel, was not a prophet. And he was better than they because be saw it, and they, did not see it. But if they did not see, why fell a terror upon them? Although they did not see literally, they saw it clairvoyantly. Said Rabbina: From this we may infer that whoso is terrified, although he does not himself see, he sees clairvoyantly.

Talmud Megillah is also where it says who the 7 female prophetesses are (including Esther)

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Was Daniel a prophet?, Shoshanna Walker, 08/31/2006