b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 138:2 - magnified thy word above all thy name.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 138:2 - magnified thy word above all thy name.
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:56:44 -0700

Joel:

Because it does not make much sense is why I question the pointing.
Further, different pointing does make sense, as I mentioned before.

By the way, don't blame dyslexia: that should help you in your
linguistic studies, because it causes you to analyse context for
meaning.

Karl W. Randolph.

On 7/28/06, Joel Stucki <joel AT stucki.ws> wrote:
On 7/25/06, Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com> wrote:
> Dear Joel,
>

> > Of course, a rendering I don't like but seems completely possible is:
> >
> > I will thank thy name; more than thy mercy and more than thy truth
> > for thou hast increased all thy name more than thy word.
>

> HH: No, it's not possible. The "more than" term goes with "name," not
> with "word."

Your right I got turned around there.

That second rendering should be
I will thank thy name; more than thy mercy and more than thy truth
for thou hast increased thy word more than all thy name.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense and does not have the parallel I was
originally thinking. Darn dyslexia!

I still like my first rendering best but I can't seem to muster a
strong opinion either way.