b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "I Am" vs. "I Will Be"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: Har1marjohn AT wmconnect.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "I Am" vs. "I Will Be"
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:17:31 EDT

Similarly, concerning 'ehyeh 'asher 'ehyeh, it is "not merely a
philosophical phrase; the emphasis is on the active manifestation of the
Divine
existence....To the Israelites in bondage, the meaning would be, 'Although
He has not
yet displayed His power towards you, He will do so; He is eternal and will
certainly redeem you.' Most moderns follow Rashi in rendering 'I will be
what
I will be, i.e. no words can sum up all that He will be to His people, but
his everlasting faithfulness and unchanging mercy will more and more
manifest
themselves in the guidance of Israel. The answer which Moses receives in
these words is thus equivalent to, 'I shall save in the way that I shall
save.'
It is to assure the Israelites of the fact of deliverance, but does not
disclose the manner. It must suffice the Israelites to learn that 'Ehyeh,
WILL BE (with you) , hath sent me unto you.'" (emphasis original) -- Dr. J.
H.
Hertz, The Pentateuch and Haftorahs, 2nd edition (Soncino Press, 1985), p.
215

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 06/30/2006 9:33:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,