b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pe in the aleppo codex

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pe in the aleppo codex
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:49:36 +0100

Thankx Yitzhak. Very interesting research. I've looked
at the online image version of the aleppo codex at
aleppocodex.org and it seems that there are no pe's
in the manuscript but rather spaces. It would seem that
whoever put the {pe}'s in the digital sword module of
the aleppo codex did so to represent the spaces in the
codex.

There seem to be a variety of spacing arrangements in
the image version of the codex.

1) Completely empty lines
2) Space to the end of a line
3) Mid line space (of about 9 characters as you said)
4) Space a the beginning of a line where there is space
at the end of a preceeding line.

Finally there seems to be another spatial arrangement
which struck me but must have nothing at all to do with
early chapter arrangements. There are sections which
are left aligned. It must have been awfully difficult
to left align a text when writing from right to left.
I wonder why the copyist felt the need to make the effort.