b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] the name Qumran

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gene Gardner <g_gardner1234 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] the name Qumran
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:48:17 -0700 (PDT)

Could anyone on the list give me a linguistic breakdown of the name Qumran?

Thank you

Gene Gardner

---------------------------------
New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save
big.
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 22:34:11 -0700
From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [b-hebrew] QHN - Reeds & Hemp

Yitzhak & al.

You asked - *I am curious as to the source of the information for the claims

regarding the resin of Cannabis*. My response is that I have personnally
seen

and handled both the cannabis plant and the resin. It is not very different
from

other vegtable oils. It is not with any odor but nothing remarkable. The
plant is

very fiberous (as you might expect given the source of rope) but not stiff
like

cane. You can see the Cannabis plant at this link.

http://www.dipbot.unict.it/orto/1037-1.html

Cane actually refers not to a particular plant (except perhaps for sugar
cane) but

rather to the flexible stem, as of certain bamboos, reeds, or rattans. Since

rattan and bamboo are not found in the ANE, cane would only refer to woody

reeds. Here is a link to images of the Giant Reed, Arundo donax. Let me say

have personally handled Arundo donax and it is quite different from hemp. It
is

hard, stiff, and woody. It is not at all resinous or oily. Hemp, while not
flaccid, is

very flexible.

http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/arundona.html

Keeping this on-list, the key point is that in most of the references to QHN
in the

Tanakh are to something hard and stiff, very much like the stem of Arundona

donax. A balance beam (Isaiah), a bone (Job), or a candle stickholder
(Exodus)

would need hard, stiff materials, consistent with a woody reed not a flexible

plant like hemp.

.--
Jack Tladatsi