b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 40, Issue 24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John Cook" <jacook AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 40, Issue 24
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:44:04 -0400

Dear Moon,

Let me respond briefly in turn to your clarifying queries:

1) Yes, the wayyiqtol in Num 1:48 appears to be an isolated form, and if we
are to understand a subnarrative it must be on the basis of the implicit,
negative act of Moses refraining from numbering the Levites. These
characteristics are what make it so odd, and off the top of my head I cannot
produce other like examples or this one would possibly be more easily
explained.

2) Regarding qatal, again, we do not begin from like premises. You seem to
presume that x-qatal serves as background setting or as topic or focus of the
X element, whereas I see BH as having an underlying Subject-Verb word order,
and therefore, x-qatal, where x is subject, can be merely the default syntax
rather than pragmatic topic or focus. My expectation that wlbn ntn could
occur in the Genesis 29 contexts is borne out of an understanding that such a
construction would merely be disjunctive with the flow of narrative
time---i.e., within the context of a string of wayyiqtols (and this is
crucial---it is a contextual use of the form, not a sine qua non meaning),
x-qatal often serves to state an event that lies outside that ongoing
narrative time (much as perfect or past perfect in an English narrative of
simple past---hence some of the reason why Hatav connects qatal to English
perfect, though incorrectly I think). But we must admit that any statement of
what could be expected here is in the realm of conjecture as we have no
native speakers, so I won't pursue it any farther.

3) I'm not sure if Hatav is confused on this point or has simply confused
you. In linguistic literature, the introduction of a new R-time is a way to
refer to the advancement of narrative time---the two are not distinct.
Temporal succession is not understood by any linguists that I have read as
entirely pragmatic---it is a combination of semantic and discourse pragmatic
elements. By contrast, foregrounding is completely pragmatic, although it
patterns in some quite regular ways with certain semantic features, including
temporal succession---and hence we are back around to the confusion that has
prevailed in many linguistic and BH studies.

So I would again disagree with your conclusion that my approach is more of a
"strait jacket" than Hatav's (though I'm still not entirely clear about the
import of this metaphor), and I think Hatav would take issue with your
portrayal of her understanding of temporal succession as merely
pragmatic---it is semantic at its core, and exactly what constitutes the
semantics of temporal succession (i.e., R-time movement/advancement) is what
semanticians have been wrestling with for a quarter century.

Best,

John
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 07:52:11 +0900 (KST)
> From: <moon AT sogang.ac.kr>
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Explicative use of wayyiqtol (To John Cook
> ): some clarifying questions
> To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
>
> John, thanks for the kind answers. Let me ask some clarifying questions.
>

> [Cook]
> a) I do not claim to have completely explicated the verb in Num 1:48. If it
> were easily solved we would not be discussing it, and we can multiply many
> more interesting examples such as it. I do think that the verb makes
> reference to a subnarrative in which God commands Moses not to number the
> Levites and he doesn't. The difficulty is, arguably, that we only have one
> action of a narrative, whereas most would define a narrative as a sequence
> of actions. Unfortunately, the next action in the subnarrative would
> logically be a negative one---Moses did not number them. The solution is
> not perfect, admittedly, but it is satisfactory I think.
>

> => I assume that Num 1:48 is an isolated WAYYIQTOL. If we want to talk
> about a subnarrative,>
> therefore, we should talk about an one-event subnarrative. "The next
> action in the subnarrative --
> Moses did not number them" exists only implicitly, right?
>
> Also, could you please tell me some instances where X+QATAL is explained by
> a subnarrative consisting of more than one WAYYIQTOLs. I am not talking
> about instances where X+QATAL establishes a setting for a subnarrative
> consisting of more than one WAYYIQTOLs.
>
> [Cook]
> b) I can't really respond well to your second point because I don't agree
> with your premise. You are presuming X-QATAL serves various purposes (a la
> Niccacci it would seem) and then wondering why my explanation does not fit
> your presumption. It is simply because I don't buy into Niccacci's
> discourse approach to the BH verbal system.
>
> => OK. But we can accept the phenomenon that X+QATAL is either connected to
> the previous sequence or starts a new sequence by establishing a new
> setting. Also, it seems that in the former case, X is a fronted topic or
> a fronted focus. When X is a brand-new entity, X+QATAL is typically used to
> establish a new setting for a new sequence. I said that WLABAN NATAN
> does not to fit in the context of Gen 29:23-25a, 28-30a, because
> the context does not provide any motivation to make LABAN a fronted topic
> or a fronted focus,
> nor WLABAN NATAN would establish a new setting for the following sequence.
>
> I think you know instances where X + QATAL is used even if the two contexts
> mentioned
> above do not apply? Could you tell me some?
>
> [Cook]
> c) I'm glad you find Hatav's system satisfying. I admire much in her
> discussion. However, her treatment of WAYYIQTOL is a "tighter jacket" than
> [...]

  • Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 40, Issue 24, John Cook, 04/25/2006