b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Mind" in Hebrew and Aramaic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Albert & Julia Haig <albert_and_julia AT yahoo.com.au>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Mind" in Hebrew and Aramaic
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 22:34:53 +1000 (EST)

> [PK]But I would dispute the relevance of the Peshitta (4th-5th century CE
> Syriac version of the New Testament) here. I know that some people like to
> claim that the Peshitta is at least to a large extent an original Aramaic
> NT of which the Greek NT is a translation. But the scholarly consensus is
> that the Peshitta is basically a translation of the Greek NT.

Yes, but it is obviously helpful as a source on the meaning of Aramaic terms,
whether it is a translation or not. Indeed, if it is a translation, that may
make it more useful for these purposes.

> [PK]An additional indication of this is the variation of the wording in the
> four different places where this formula is quoted in the NT: Matthew 22:37
> (3 words: "heart", "soul", "mind" (DIANOIA)); Mark 12:30 (4 words: "heart",
> "soul", "mind" (DIANOIA), "strength"); Mark 12:33 (3 words: "heart",
> "understanding" (SUNESIS), "strength") Luke 10:27 (4 words: "heart",
> "soul", "strength", "mind" (DIANOIA)). It would seem that those who
> rendered Jesus' words into Greek used varying strategies to translate
> Hebrew LEBAB and ME'OD, or its Aramaic equivalents.

This is most readily explicable by Markan priority.

> [KP]Is it being assumed that in the encounter narrated in Mark 12:28-34
> Jesus was speaking Aramaic rather than Hebrew?

No. It could be Hebrew or Aramaic. However, if Aramaic had a distinct and
specific word for "mind" at this time which had no Hebrew analogue [which -
note everyone please - is the main point that I am trying to determine], that
would slightly favour Aramaic over Hebrew. Even if this passage represents
some sort of midrashic development, why add "mind" when "lev" was always
understood to include it in Hebrew anyway?

> [BJW III] In fact, evil, grief, conscience, bravery, wishdown,
> understanding, though functions, the seat of the will, etc., all are used
> of labab and leb.

That's my point exactly. Why add an additional term when lev covers it? What
would the additional term have been, if it was Hebrew? What about Aramaic?

> [BJW III] In particular, the widely-held distinction between mind as the
> seat of thing and heart as seat of feeling (esp.tender feeling) is alien
> from the meaning these terms carry in the Bible.

Half-true - it's alien from the meaning these terms carry in the Old
Testament. In New Testament Greek, there was some distinction, although it
was much less pronounced than in classical Greek thought, due to the Hebraic
influence on the former. It is questionable whether, for instance, nous and
kardia are always used synonymously in the NT (sometimes they are, not
always). That again gets to the point. Where does Aramaic stand in this
regard?

> [BJW III] Harder makes it quite clear that dianoia, nous, etc. are not used
> that often in the LXX,

But they are so used in the NT, and this supports my comments above.

> [HH] Someone has pointed out that Palestine was a multi-lingual context.
> Isaiah centuries earlier had spoken of "Galilee of the Gentiles," and the
> Seleucid rulers had striven to inculcate the love of things Greek. The NT
> is Greek. I see no difficulty in assuming that Jesus knew Greek and was
> familiar with the LXX. Nor do I have difficulty imagining that he spoke in
> more than one language and may have preached in Greek at times.

I've read such arguments, and I remain completely unconvinced. The idea that
Greek was spoken by Palestinian Jews in anything but exceptional cases is
extremely hard to believe, and the idea that the LXX would be employed by
people such as John the Baptist and Jesus in discussions with Pharisees even
in circumstances where it contradicts every Hebrew and Aramaic text that we
have, is far-fetched. From the earliest record of Christian-Jewish
interactions, at least since Justin Martyr, when Christians cited the LXX in
cases where it contradicted the Hebrew, the Jews would immediately respond by
gleefully pointing out this defect. Why would the Pharisees not similarly
respond to John the Baptist or Jesus? As anybody who has tried knows, the
ability to be fluently bilingual (excepting closely related languages such as
Hebrew and Aramaic) or trilingual is difficult, and in a society which had a
high rate of illiteracy and little formal education, there are good reasons to
express scepticism about this. Furthermore, the ability to retain fluency in
a second language depends in all but exceptional cases upon one's having
continuing contact with people who speak that language as their
mother-tongue. But even if you remain convinced that Jesus sometimes spoke
Greek to the Pharisees, for the sake of the present argument, since arguing
the issue would be way off forum, let's assume that he was speaking in
Aramaic or Hebrew, and see if there is a possible solution.

> [HH] Even if Jesus were speaking Aramaic on this occasion, he might
> conceivably have been motivated to insert this idea of mind into a citation
> of Deut 6:5.

This is what I'm trying to get at. Although Jesus had challenged people to
use their minds, that doesn't tell us whether he could have distinguished
mind and heart in Aramaic. In Hebrew usage, "lev" would have done perfectly
to mean mental sharpness of the mind. But I'm not sure about Aramaic.

> [YL] Please define what you mean by "mind" in English, and then we'll see
> if there is a Hebrew word, biblcial or otherwise, that has more or less the
> same meaning. Does "mind" mean "brain", "sense" or "thought"? Or did you
> have something else in mind. Would you mind elaborating, so as to put our
> minds at ease? Or should we just mind our own business?

No, I don't mind :) Really, though, it doesn't matter too much what I mean by
mind, but what the author of Mark meant when he used it (dianoia) and
distinguished it from kardia. My question can be phrased like this: was there
a word in 1st century Aramaic that clearly meant the mind as let's say the
"organ of thought" as opposed to the more inclusive term heart.

Thanks, everyone.

All the best,

Albert Haig.

On Yahoo!7
Dancing With the Stars: Win tickets to the Grand Final!