b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Flying or Darting in Isaiah 14:29 and 30:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Flying or Darting in Isaiah 14:29 and 30:6
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 21:32:06 -0800

Hello,

In Isaiah 14:29 and 30:6 the phrase "sharaf mez'wfef" is used. It is
frequently translated as "flying snake". I guess flying is derived from the
root 'wf. Flying snakes are not normal to say the least. So if the author
intended the phrase to refer to an self-propelled airborne (winged?) snake,
it would certainly be something unusual. However there is nothing in the
context to suggest anything out of the ordinary about these snakes. The NIV
translates the phrases as darting, I suppose a reference to the tounge of the
snake (which flys out of the mouth of the snake).

Any thoughts?

--
Jack Tladatsi