b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LXX and Hebrew Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Herman Meester" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LXX and Hebrew Text
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:33:04 +0200

Dear Jimmy,

Variants are not always the issue, since we are dealing with Hebrew
texts and their translations into Greek, that are sometimes purely
paraphrases. If you want to use the Septuagint for MT text criticism,
the critical apparatus of the Biblia Hebraica might be your tool. And
where the Greek of the LXX is no longer a translation, but rather a
paraphrase (in the later books), it is more worthwile just to read the
Greek text on its own.

Nevertheless, maybe T. Muraoka has written something on Greek vs.
Hebrew in this field.
Cf. "A Greek-English lexicon of the Septuagint : chiefly of the
Pentateuch and the Twelve Prophets", T. Muraoka. Louvain, Peeters,
2002 ISBN 9042911824 (1st: 1993)

However, the most useful thing would be BHS' critical apparatus.
Nevertheless, we'd have to know which variant of the various LXX mss.,
in turn, are chosen to be used by its editors. For that, we'd always
have to check Rahlfs' critical apparatus, too. Needless to say, online
versions of the LXX are of no use to that, because they don't give any
variants, and Rahlfs' job couldn't have been perfect. Don't let anyone
do that job for you! ;)

best regards,
Herman Meester