b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 7:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 7:22
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:41:22 +1300 (NZDT)

B-Hebrewers,

Thank you to those who replied. It seems some list members share the same
misunderstanding which appears to have driven the NIV translators into
``fixing'' this verse. The sacrifices were not invented with the giving of
the Sinai covenant. Earlier the patriarchs sacrificed (see for example Gen
15:7-21, Gen 22:13, Gen 31:54 or Gen 46:1). When we look at the giving of
covenant there were some preliminary matters covered in Ex 19, then it
really begins with the ten commandments in Ex 20:1 and continues through
to the end of chapter 23. In this period there is only a single reference
to sacrifice, in Ex 23:18, where it makes a passing reference to a form of
sacrifice already known to the Israelites. Then in Ex 24 the covenant is
ratified. The people pledge obedience in Ex 24:3, then a solemn ceremony,
involving a sacrifice, is held in Ex 24:5-8 to ratify the covenant. It is
after the conclusion of the covenant that the sacrificial system was
given.

I had a second look at it last night taking into account that some people
thought the ``just'' added by the NIV was implicitly present in the verse.
I suppose it depends on what Jeremiah thought about the covenant. But he
was from a priestly line and while it might look like splitting
theological hairs I don't think we can dismiss the plain meaning. The book
which bears his name shows a deep, profound understanding of the Moses
covenant. His words as they actually appear cannot be dismissed lightly.
At this stage I'm unconvinced that the NIV is justified in its
addition, but I'm open to listening to further arguments.

Bill Rea, IT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Jeremiah 7:22, Bill Rea, 03/01/2006