b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] translation v. interpretation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] translation v. interpretation
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 06:07:07 -0800 (PST)

Dear Herman,

Without elaborating on Yigal's words, please consider the following:

Despite the obvious differences between BH and MH any speaker or reader
of
modern Hebrew does not have the slightest difficulty understaning
biblical
narratives. Genesis, Judges, Samuel , for example, with the exception of
obscurities, will be linguistically as clear to such an individual
as would be the morning paper or the current newsbroadcast . Poetry is a
different matter.

As I said, Yigal explained the reasons for it.

Uri

---------------------------------

Dear Yigal, Of course you are right about Modern Hebrew and Biblical
Hebrew not differing as much as say Sanskrit and Hindi or Gothic and Dutch,
even though the time gap between the two is similar. Nevertheless,
BHebrew and ModHebrew most definitely *are* two different languages. At the
very least scientifically speaking (I mean I don't think there'll be any
linguist around defending the view they are one and the same language) but I
think most Israeli's will admit that the entire BH syntax is not theirs. If
you'd speak BHebrew in the streets, everyone will recognise it immediately
and you'll be laughed at. Why do we even need so many different
dictionaries? By your definition, Dutch and Afrikaans wouldn't be 2
different languages either. However, we translate quite a few Afrikaans
books into Dutch. And we subtitle South-Africans on tv. I maintain it
would be very refreshing to translate úð"ê into ModHebrew. For the same
reason that I can understand Medieval
Dutch, yet the danger of misunderstanding something that doesn't really
mean what I think it means, is there in every other sentence. When I
learned BHebrew myself, there was an Israeli student in university (learning
Arabic, Aramaic and stuff). She attended the classes but she said "it's my
language anyway, so I won't really have to be there." However, she stayed
until the end, and was surprised to see how different it really is, if you
go into syntax, mostly the verbs of course; and even semantics can be quite
deceiving. Modern Hebrew looks much more like Tannaic Hebrew and Medieval
Hebrew than like BHebrew, and is not so much a reincarnation of BHebrew, as
a continuation of the later phases. I'd be happy to participate in this
translation to Modern Hebrew, by the way. Of course, I know it's some kind
of a taboo in Israel. And publishers will worry about sales. Although it
could be hyped to a best-seller. I'll contact my agent ;) Regards Herman

Yahoo! Mail