b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'appeden - "Persian Loan Word"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'appeden - "Persian Loan Word"
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 23:15:47 -0500

Dear Robert,
I don't know what the "tents of the Apadana" are that Daniel is talking
about, but the Apadana is the great audience hall in Persepolis that was
begun by Darius and finished by his son Xerxes. Perhaps the word came to
mean "audience hall." The one in Persepolis is not a tent of course, it is a
monumental building with 100 columns and huge stone staircases carved with
fabulous reliefs. A search on the web will bring up pictures of it.
As far as Persian loan words go, another one is the word that is customarily
translated "law" in Daniel. It is the Persian word "dat." It also appears
in Ezra 7:26. It has entered modern Hebrew as "dati" to describe anyone who
keeps the mitzvoth, the commandments.
Best,
Liz Fried

(Although, in