b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:57:35 -0500

Yitzhak:

In modern Hebrew, as I understand it, there is little
difference between the pronunciation of a final alep, he
and ayin. Even a final chet is often lost.

But as I postulate, these letters are all consonants that are
followed by vowels. Alep I believe is mainly a place holder
for a vowel, as part of a diphthong. Ayin a full glottal stop.
A final he is a consonant followed by a voiced vowel. As
such, $M) [Aramaic for "the name"], $MH [her name] and
$M( [rumor] have different pronunciations, whereas from
the way I was taught in class, they all had the same.

(Rochelle Altman mentioned that the Masoretes had tin
ears, could that be a reason that they and their followers
did not distinguish these sounds? Would that also account
for their losing other sounds such as the unaccented
shewa after the L in MLKY ?)

As for what was the original final vowel, I don't know. I
somewhat doubt that it was a -u sound, but I may be
wrong (as I have been on other matters).

In closing, as I said in my last message, I am not 100%
convinced of this theory myself, just that the evidence,
as I see it, seems to point in this way.

Karl W. Randolph.