b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] [Fwd: Hebrew paradigms quiz]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <klowery AT whi.wts.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Ulrik Petersen <ulrikp AT emdros.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] [Fwd: Hebrew paradigms quiz]
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:07:03 -0500

Forwarded for Ulrik Petersen to B-Hebrew. BTW, his database engine,
emdros, is very much worth the look for text-database applications.

Kirk
B-Hebrew co-chair

*******

On 01/08/06 17:32:04 Ulrik Petersen <ulrikp AT hum.aau.dk> wrote:

I have made a free Biblical Hebrew and Greek paradigms quiz available on
the web:

http://ulrikp.dk/bp/

The Hebrew part can be also reached directly via:

http://ulrikp.dk/bp/hebrew.php

and the Greek part can be reached via:

http://greekparadigms.org/

Comments and constructive criticism are welcome. Please use the email
address at the bottom of each page on the website.

It is currently a very bare-bones user interface, and a lot of the
paedagogical points can be debated. If someone can use it in their
Hebrew or Greek teaching, I'd be glad. If not, please let me know what
needs to be fixed before you can use it. I can't guarantee that I'll
fix it, but I might.

If there is enough interest, I'd be glad to make the system Open Source
so that you can modify it and/or run it on your own or your
institution's server.

The system is highly configurable -- for example, the list of quizzes
you see when you choose the Hebrew quiz is generated from a text file
that anyone can edit in Notepad. Likewise, all of the text in English
could easily be exchanged for, say, Latvian or Hungarian text. Finally,
the order in which the grammatical categories occur can also be easily
configured. What I am saying is, there might be good reasons to make
this Open Source so that you can run it on your own server.

The system works even if you have no Greek or Hebrew fonts installed, as
all Greek/Hebrew is shown as high-quality images. Thus you can let your
students use it without requiring them to install anything special other
than a browser.

Feel free to link to either of the URLs above.

Enjoy!

Ulrik Petersen
--
Ulrik Petersen
PhD candidate (comp.ling.), MA (comp.ling.), BSc. (comp.sci. & math)

  • [b-hebrew] [Fwd: Hebrew paradigms quiz], Kirk Lowery, 01/09/2006