b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] A linguistic chain?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] A linguistic chain?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:23:28 -0500

Dear listmembers:

I'm not quite sure how to put this question so as to best express what I'm trying to convey, so I'll just put out the basic idea and maybe some linguists can help me out.

The Qemant in Ethiopia cite their city of origin as Sennar.

The Lemba of South Africa cite their city of origin as Senna, calling themselves “Ba Senna”.

There is a village in the eastern Hadramaut in Yemen called Sena, in which are names which mirror those tribe names of Lemba in South Africa.

The Lemba’s self-identified ancestor is a man called Baramina.

Might it be possible to trace a common path of movement of Semitic tribes, using these and other points?

Best Salaams,

R. Brian Roberts
Amateur Researcher in Biblical Archaeology