b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 68

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 68
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:47:29 +0000

On 18/12/2005 15:49, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

``Pave the way1 for the one who rides where the sun sets2 --- his name
being Yah3 --- and rejoice before Him.''

1. From the root s.l.l, to cast a highway. Birnbaum's ``extol''
reflects a common understanding of this word, an understanding
that dates back to the Targum's translation of Ps. 68, ``lift up a
song,'' from which this passage is taken. But in light of the
following ``the one who rides...,'' our translation of ``pave''
seems much the more likely. NRSV adds a footnote to their
translation ``lift up a song:'' ``Or cast up a highway.''

2. Aravot. The idea presumably is that God rides his chariot on
high, drawing the sun across the sky. (We have a similar
expression, ``rides off into the sunset,'' but the meaning is
quite different.) NRSV suggests, ``rides among the clouds.''

It makes no sense for humans to pave the way for someone who is riding on the clouds! But if he is riding through the deserts, the only attested meaning of `arava, it makes a lot of sense for people to prepare a road for him, in the same way as even today in Middle Eastern cultures (and no doubt also in America!) roads are repaired before visits from the President.

I notice a clear and rather close parallel with Isaiah 40:3. Surely Psalm 68 is older than Isaiah 40. It seems to me rather likely that the prophet was deliberately echoing the psalm. He used the same word `arava, in the singular, and in parallel with midbar making his meaning clear, and his mesilla "highway" echoes sollu "pave (?)" in the psalm. This suggests to me that the prophet understood the psalm as something like "Pave the way for the rider through the deserts". And, as he would have been in touch with ancient traditional understandings as well as being a mother tongue speaker of biblical Hebrew, there is good reason to think that he was correct.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)