b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:23:44 +0100

Obviously, "lectio difficilior potior" is used only when it does not
lead to bizarre readings. However, imho. Zech 6,8 is an excellent
example where it is indeed a good criterion.
As for Prov 1,19 you refer to, there is no need to change anything
there, because the second בצע there already is a segholate noun, be it
in pausal vocalisation; it's not a verb. Note also the place of the
accent. (^ under the first syll.) Just as we have ארץ aretz (in pausa)
and ארץ eretz.

BTW I think your distinction between written and spoken language is a
little artificial. Imagine Hebrew happened to have used a totally
different writing system (hieroglyphs, cuneiform, or an alefbet with a
lot more matres lectionis), and we would see all the vowel in writings
in every type of text, I guess then suddenly the vowel signs are part
of the inspired text?
I know you consider the Hebrew alefbet to be exclusively designed for
Hebrew; I guess our basic suppositions diverge so much that we won't
convince each other. Which is good, it would be dull if everyone was
of the same opinion all the time. I hope you agree with me on the
Proverbs verse, though.

And I disagree with the Chinese ;)

שלום
Herman