b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 61.3 "called 'oaks of righteousness'"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 61.3 "called 'oaks of righteousness'"
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:07:54 +0000

At 04:45 07/12/2005, Harold Holmyard wrote:
HH: Ir's a Pual perfect form. There is a vowel above the Q.

The Westminster 4.0 morphology has no doubt that it is, and the Gesenius grammar on p741 concurs.

But HAL has reservations, adding: (passive qal ?)

Perhaps this is a nod in the direction of Waltke, B. K., & O'Connor, M. P. (1990). An introduction to biblical Hebrew syntax, which on p.418 states that " many passive Qal forms are pointed in the MT as Pual " and this is developed in s. 22.6:

>> The Masoretes recognized Qal only as an active stem, but there is much evidence that Biblical Hebrew also had a passive counterpart. On comparative grounds a Qal passive is easily justified. A simple passive stem is attested in some of the cognate languages: in Arabic, where it is in full use; in Ugaritic, where it cannot be readily distinguished in the prefix conjugation from the passive stem with prefix n; in the Tell Amarna glosses; and possibly in some Aramaic dialects.<<

Additionally, Lambdin in his basic grammar states ( p.253 ) " There are several forms, taken by the Masoretes as Pual or Hophal, which must rather be viewed as survivors of an obsolete passive of the Qual "

I see that the translation done by the author of the Word commentary on Isaiah is:
>> So that one calls them oaks of the legitimate, Yahweh's planting for beautification. <<

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
Bray, Ireland