b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 32:11 object?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 32:11 object?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:23:59 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Herman Meester" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>

> Dear Karl,
> If we have a dagesh in the Nun of QNW, the chance that it derives of
> QNN is much higher than that it derives of QNH. However, it is of
> course possible that the two roots are in a way related
> etymologically, but I wonder if that's still relevant for this text.
> To resolve your problem that the nest would be too large for the
> eagle, I think we are dealing with the poetic style of "pars pro
> toto", or something similar that I can't find a nice word for, i.e.
> using a word that is only part of something else, so "nest" here is
> "offspring".
> Cf. the frequent use of BYT like in "house of David" where BYT means
> "family" or "lineage".
> best regards,
> Herman

Herman:

Good answer. I hadn't considered that QN nest
referred indirectly to the chicks, and not
necessarily to the physical nest itself.

Therefore the meaning comes to that as the
eagle causes to arouse its nest (chicks) and
settles down on its chicks, he spreads his
wings and takes him and lifts him up on his
soaring feathers.

The physical nest is just too large to fit this
passage, but as an indirect reference to the
chicks, it certainly fits.

Looking at the further context of the verses
around this particular verse, there are other
references to the eagle's actions as symbols
of God's actions towards Israel.