b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:24:11 +0100

Dear list members,
! שלום לכם
I don't know if I said there are no tenses in Hebrew;
I do largely agree with Galia Hatav (Journal of Linguistics, november 2004).
For example, C1 gemination in noun and verb anchor the noun or verb to
"this world" => definite noun or simple past verb (point in time) (I
guess you can call wayyiqtol a tense, then); whereas yiqtol or non-C1
geminated noun are yet "undefined". Galia and I came up with that
theory independently; therefore it must be true. All credits to her of
course, she really worked it out. Her article is very strongly
recommended.
That's all the fresh stuff I can offer.
Fifty years from now, it'll be the default way of looking at BHebrew grammar.
:)
I think it makes a lot of sense.
best regards,
Herman