b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] midwives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] midwives
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:50:05 -0500

Yigal:

The Egyptian records during the Hyksos period weren't
exactly the epitome of exactitude. Do the Egyptian records
list each Hyksos ruler, the years that he reigned, the
important events that occurred during his reign, his name
and the names of important people in his court? Or did the
Egyptians, as a measure of their gratitude, do all in their
power to erase all record of the Hyksos from their land?
I was told it was the latter.

If the latter, and the Exodus occurred during the reign of
a Hyksos king (called "Egyptian" because he ruled Egypt)
then the probability of finding a record of the Exodus in
Egypt is very unlikely at best.

As far as the Flood is concerned, the Biblical record is
that it predated all ancient kingdoms. Which is more
believable: an ancient record that gives all the indications
that it is a factual history, or our modern reconstructions
based on fragmentary surviving records?

Each has to make his own decision. You already know my
choice, I won't push it. Your choice is yours to make.

All that I am bringing out here is that Torah is written as
prose, as a factual history. Not as a legend nor folklore.
This is a stylistic statement. Either it is masterly written
fiction, or true history as it claims.

Karl W. Randolph.