b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:27:30 -0700

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 12:45, Karl Randolph wrote:
> Yitzhak:

[snip]

You haven't looked at very many, then. All the ones I have seen, including
the ones I base my teaching on, explain what the points are and how to use
them cautiously, but they also explain something that you don't seem to
grasp: as far as we can tell, the pronunciation tradition that the points
preserve goes back MUCH further than the Masoretes themselves, and can tell
us much about how the generations going back to who knows when pronounced the
text. And there are plenty of us who don't see reading without points as a
"graduation." You assume this is a better way because it's the way you
chose, but I have yet to see an adequate justification for it. From what I
have seen over the past several months or so, your "graduation" has brought
you to absurd readings, unlikely definitions, and thorough befuddlement.
I'll pass, thank you.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur