b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lev 21:18 - Passive Participle

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lev 21:18 - Passive Participle
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:08:14 +0000

On 01/11/2005 11:55, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

When looking at Gesenius and his followers such as BDB et al, they take Leviticus 21:18 as being from a different root than all the other uses of XRM (other than as a fish net). What you are suggesting, if I read you correctly, is that the division should be made along different lines. You, too, disagree with BDB on this.

At the very least, if there are two roots, they are not according to the categories found in Arabic.

No, Karl, I am not disagreeing with BDB, although I don't claim to have a fixed opinion on the matter. BDB takes the senses "slit" in Lev 21:18 only and "net" (also perhaps XARME$ "sickle") as from the root XRM II which they associate with Arabic خرم (starting with the Arabic letter khah), and all other uses of the verb as well as the noun XEREM in the senses "devoted thing, devotion, ban" as from XRM I associated with Arabic حرم (starting with the Arabic letter hah, as in "haram" meaning "unclean"). I see no reason to disagree with this - although it is not necessarily the full story. BDB links the noun "net" with "slit" because nets are perforated.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)