b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin and accent

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Yishmor Y" <yishmor AT heplist.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin and accent
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:32:43 -0000

I think it's unrealistic to assume that the ancient cultures were so
linguistically aware that they felt the need invent a writing system
that accomodated for vowel changes through time.
Much more convincing is the assertion that the consonants stood for
both consonants and vowels as the vowels were altogether predictable.