b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:35:45 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>

> On 24/10/2005 23:27, Karl Randolph wrote:

> > As for Biblical Hebrew pronunciation, about the only thing we can
> > say with certainty is that the Masoretic points do not preserve
> > it. ...
> >

> No, we cannot say this with certainty, unless someone provides some
> actual evidence of change. It is probable that there were some
> changes, but perhaps only rather small ones (cf. Caragounis' claims
> that Greek pronunciation has hardly changed for 2500 years!), but
> nothing can be certain without evidence.
>
> -- Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Peter:

We do have evidence of change, or at the very least,
dialectal differences, which at the very least can cause us
to question if TH reflects the correct dialect. While I agree
with Dr. Hoffman that transliterations are tricky, that they
differ so much from each other and from TH depending on
time and place, is a clue that pronunciations also changed
depending on time and place. And that is evidence that
TH Masoretic points also changed from Biblical Hebrew.

What it doesn't say is how Biblical Hebrew was
pronounced.