b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] online targums

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] online targums
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 09:53:17 -0400

Hi Folks,

Gene Gardner wrote:
>Does anyone know where I can find an online English translation of Targum
>Jonathan?

Hi Gene,

There are many English translations of Targumim online, last I checked this
did not include Targum Jonathan (e.g. Pseudo-Jonathan, Onkelos, Psalms are
online).

The Isaiah 53 section is available however :-), actually maybe in two
translations.
I can find at least one if that is helpful.

>Also, does anyone on the list have a copy of The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible,
>Edited by Martin G. Abegg, Peter W. Flint and Eugene Charles Ulrich, and if
>so, what is your opinion of it?

Tis a well-done work, that achieves what it tries to do. Places the context
of the various Bible text scrolls within the format of the Hebrew Bible,
gives the English translations (not the Hebrew text as e.g. at the Fred
Miller Great Isaiah Scroll site), shows what are conjectures and
interpolations, compares readings when there are multiple scrolls, and gives
solid footnotes.

Also in the introduction to each book it discusses quite well issues like the
affinity of the various texts to the Masoretic Text or the Greek OT. The
scholars are strong, and Emanuel Tov backed them up on the translation of
Psalm 22:16, possibly the most controversial verse. Others here can comment
on the translation in general, as that is not my forte. Never heard any real
criticisms however.

As long as you are aware of the focus and direction of the book, it is an
excellent work.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY

  • [b-hebrew] online targums, Schmuel, 10/01/2005