b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Joshua Luna" <joshua AT can-do.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 01:49:02 +0100

You do have a good point with the dagesh forte and lene.

However, the differences you pointed out in English sounds are so finite
that most English speakers i know of wouldn't benefit any from the
introduction
of new symbols to differentiate the two. Rather it would only lead to more
splleing mistaeks, witch I'm told eye make offen.

Also the English language in general is a bad example as it is anything but
an
example of an attempt to formulate a consistent system, mongrel language that
it is.
As far as I have understood, correct me if I'm wrong, the whole motivation of
the
masoretes was to devise a system whereby the pronunciation would be
preserved.
Why would they feel the need to indicate silent vowel with a vocal vowel
sound?
In fact, why would they feel the need to indicate the absence of sound at all?

We don't see forms like )eh:yeh: with a final silent schewa, which indicates
that
there is no sound after the final 'he'. If I were to suggest that one were
needed
I would be held in ridicule, although I can think of far better reasons for
needing
such at the end of a word than in the middle, where it can already be
reasonably
assumed that if there is no indication of vowel we needn't try to pronounce
one.