b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Prof. Stanislav Segert

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <klowery AT whi.wts.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Prof. Stanislav Segert
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:27:12 -0400

Friends,

I was just informed of that Prof. Stanislav Segert, Professor Emeritus
of Northwest Semitic Languages & Literatures at UCLA, passed away this
morning after a short stay in the hospital. He was 84.

Prof. Segert's impact on biblical studies and semitic linguistics was
great, not just by his academic output (he wrote major grammars of
Aramaic, Phoenician, Ugaritic, among many other works), but also by his
influence on his students and the high standards he expected of them. He
was always "pushing the envelope" of comparative literature and
interpretation.

I did my doctoral work under him, and count it a great privilege.
"Rigorously self-honest" and "gentle" are two personal attributes that
stand out to me.

While we mourn him, we rejoice in his continuing legacy to our discipline.

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute

  • [b-hebrew] Prof. Stanislav Segert, Kirk Lowery, 09/30/2005