b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Language Evolution - Out of Bounds

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Language Evolution - Out of Bounds
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:56:46 -0500

I have seen a couple of arguments that Hebrew was the
original language spoken in the Garden of Eden.

One, a theological one, that God kept one language not
mixed up at Babel, and that was Hebrew.

A second one says that when Moses compiled Genesis,
he did so by combining previously written documents.
There is some evidence for this in the text of Genesis as
it preserves some indications of a previous literary style
where it closed each section "these are the bringing forth
of ..." But Moses could have translated those documents
when compiling Genesis.

While I would like to argue that Hebrew was the original
language, there is no independent documentation that it
was. As a result, I believe that any such claim is highly
speculative.

Though not mentioned, is there any reason to assume
other than that Abraham used a translator when he visited
Egypt? The same when Jacob spoke to pharaoh?

Karl W. Randolph.