b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Broad heart

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Broad heart
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:45:57 -0500

Dear Reinier:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Reinier de Blois" <editor AT sdbh.org>

> Dear Karl,
>
> > Is it not possible for a lexeme to be used
> > only six times in Tanakh, each in a separate semantic domain,
> > with the result that it can given six unique definitions, one for
> > each semantic domain?
> >

> In theory, maybe. I haven't run into such
a case yet. The less data the
> more speculative a case becomes

The thing that turned me off from the Gesenius/BDB
model of lexicography was the many words I found
with multiple, unique definitions where, when I looked
up the lexemes in a concordance, I found no
justification for the multiple, unique meanings. The worst
example I found had five definitions for a lexeme used
only four times in Tanakh (that was many years ago,
and I have long ago forgotten which word that was).

It appears to me that defining according to semantic
domains risks the same danger. It appears to me that
you already have at least two unique definitions for
the idiomatic phrase "spacious heart", could there be
more?

>... What is more helpful in
> this case, however, is the triplet "wisdom, intelligence, and a broad
> heart".
> If (a) and (b) are synonymic if it would be very unlikely for (c) to be
> any different. Then, if RXB often signifies "spacious" it is a very
> small step to extend that in a more figurative sense to a heart that can
> contain much knowledge.

The idea that "spacious heart" meaning "overpowering
mind" (i.e. one not swayed by others, rather sways
them) also fits the triplet. Having wisdom and insight are
not enough, if one lacks the self-confidence to act on
them. And as king and ultimate judge, he had to have
persuasiveness to sway others to follow him, that his
judgments were correct.

Or are you saying that in the negative examples,
where a "spacious heart" is used by a the wicked, that
much knowledge is also implied? In other words, that
much knowledge makes the wicked worse?

How does that fit with Psalm 25:17 which started this
thread? That difficulties give much knowledge?

> You are basing your conclusion on an English idiom. Very speculative.

Ahh, no. I recalled the English example only after I had
arrived at a conclusion in Hebrew, then used it as an
example. I agree with your statement, had I started
with the English.

> > ... "spacious of heart", an idiomatic phrase. ...
> > the mind that is firmly rooted in
> > its own verities such that it is not easily swayed by others,
> > instead sways others.
> >

> If the root were )MN I would possibly agree with you, but not with RXB.

)MN doesn't have the same idea of conquering others
that RXB does. When a nation expands its borders, it
does so by conquest, and for conquest it needs force.
I see an "expansive heart" as one not only sure of itself,
but persuasive to others as well.

> Best wishes,
>
> Reinier de Blois
>
> United Bible Societies
> editor, Semantic Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew

Thanks for an interesting discussion.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm