b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] spaces or no spaces

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] spaces or no spaces
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:55:53 -0500

Susan:

The oldest Semitic documents using the Hebrew alphabet that
I know of had either spaces, or symbols to represent the
spaces, between words. However, not all of it was carefully
written, just as handwriting today can make the space so
small as to make it unrecognizable. Short graffiti is the
major exception as much of it was not careful.

Karl W. Randolph.