b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:06:53 +0100

On 01/08/2005 12:43, Rolf Furuli wrote:

Dear Peter,

Your arguments below are of such a nature that I am considering whether there is any purpose in answering your posts any more.

Rolf, I don't understand your problem here. I know you don't agree with my understanding of WAYYIQTOL. But you seemed to present these as examples of how your understanding must be correct, and by implication mine incorrect. Indeed you apparently made a claim earlier in that posting to have falsified the model "aspects with the opposition complete/completed versus incomplete", which is similar to the model I had in mind (which also includes a discourse-related element similar to Bryan's). My point here was to show that these verses can be understood according to such a model, and thus that this model is not falsified at least by these examples.

Now I don't want to oblige to enter into a detailed discussion of such examples, which might be rather long. But I do want you and others to understand that a four component aspectual model clarified with discourse considerations is not easily falsified (unless you insist on rare anomalous and possibly textually corrupt uses as falsifying a general rule). Your full dissertation may provide such a falsification, but simple examples like these two do not.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)