b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:38:03 +0100

Dear Peter,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
To: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
Cc: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 12:19 PM

On 01/08/2005 08:15, Rolf Furuli wrote:

The distinction between WAYYIQTOL and WEYIQTOL is often believed to be one
of apocopation, but that is not correct. The only verbs whose apocopation
can be seen in unpointed texts are lamed he verbs. ...

And also in certain hiphil forms, such as the example I mentioned.

No! We know from the DSS that plene vowels to some extent were added. When we find YODs before the root consonants of YIQTOLs with prefixed WAW in some cases and these YODs are lacking in others, we cannot know whether the verbs originally were written defectively and each YOD is an added plene vowel, or whether the YODs were original parts of the verb form, and thus were deleted in the forms forms without YODs. Therefore, the only examples from unpointed texts where apocopated forms can be seen are lamed he verbs.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)

Best regards